Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Shingled out

 On Saturday, we were getting ready for a family get together to make up for the Christmas we missed thanks to Covid.  I was feeling distinctly off colour, and had an afternoon nap, something I seldom do.  I woke up about 4, and decided to have a shower to try and wake up and get moving. As I was drying off, I realised I had a nice pattern of bright purple blisters across my lower back, in an unmistakeable pattern. Shingles, dammit. As a key member of the party is expecting, and as I now had a good explanation for why I was feeling so out of it, we cancelled the dinner, yet again.  I will spare the blog a graphic photo of the rash.  The good news is I managed to get started early on treatment, which seems to have contained the severity of the outbreak.  But it is not an experience I can recommend to anyone.  My congratulations to everyone over 50 who has been organized enough to get the vaccine, and my strong advice to anyone who hasn't had the vaccine yet, make an appointment with  your GP without delay!


Progress on the boat has been difficult to see.  I have been chipping away at various jobs that need doing - getting all the bushings in and lined up seemed to take me a very long time, but that is done.  The contortions required to get under the boat in its upside down state was acting as a strong disincentive to doing anything I realised, so today I cobbled up a very basic trolley with some castors from Bunnings, hooked up an elaborate series of ropes and straps, and without too much fuss or drama, managed to turn the boat back right side up by myself.  Took about 45 minutes all up, going very slowly and carefully, as I seriously did not want to drop the boat on the concrete. 


Now the boat is back upright, I can see what a rough job I have done.  Curse my past, sloppy self.  And I can see a fair bit of sanding in my future.  But it is lovely to have it upright again, it is like getting the boat back.

The Shingles episode has made me slow down a bit and relax a bit. If I just keep chipping away we will get this boat on the water.  I am soooo looking forward to some SCAMPing. 

Meanwhile, speaking of boats on the water, there was a nice pic in the Paynesville facebook page, of Kirsty Ann under new management, on the Clyde River near BatemansBay.  Such a beautiful boat, so good to see the her out there and being used. 



Maggie is very pleased to have her favourite snooze spot back.








No comments:

Post a Comment