Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Tea for the Tillerman

 

We had a weird Covid overshadowed Christmas that gave me some time for thinking, and I realised I have been dodging a number of jobs that need doing. I gave myself a good talking to, and started in on the tiller for the Scamp.  It's a really important part of the build, the key interface between human and boat and the magical forces that enable you to sail. 

Dale Simonson, a Canadian Scamp builder who I met on the Tawe Nunnagah earlier this year, has published a nice plan for a SCAMP tiller. John Welsford is a bit vague in the boat plans - "tiller to suit" - so nice to have something a bit more specific to work from. I ripped some Oregon and some super dense hardwood that Harald up the road gave me, and clamped the strips onto a frame made to Dale's measurements. I think it will do.


The wood in the tiller certainly looks lovely under a coat of epoxy.

Meantime, the hull is painted, looking rather like a Christmas decoration. And I sikaflexed  the hdp nose protectors onto the skegs, another one of the jobs I have been dragging the chain on. I don't know if they will work but I figure I can try something different pretty easily if they don't. 


So, a few jobs ticked off the reluctance list. Still plenty to go but getting closer. End of next month we should be pretty close with luck. Here's my to do list. Notice how often the word "Sand" appears.



Cameron, the chap I sold the Core Sound to, has just put it up for sale. Which has caused me to, once again, wonder if I actually made the right decision selling, and going down the SCAMP build path. I won't really know for sure of course till I am actually sailing, but I think I made the right call. The mast on SCAMP is about half the weight of the Core Sound, and raising it is much safer.  I never capsized the CS, but I suspect I would have had trouble getting it back and me in. By all accounts the SCAMP is less likely to capsize, and much easier to recover.  I did love the Core Sound, but it will be special to be in a boat I have built myself.



I have been sifting back through the various comments from SCAMP owners on the SCA substack. There is a common thread of agreement that the SCAMP is an easy boat to rig, launch, move around, retrieve, and generally be with.  I said to Anne today I hope I get 10 years sailing out of it.   

 Meanwhile I still enjoy the Skerry. Andrew invited me last week to head out from AYC, and Chris, after our lake wendouree adventure, very bravely agreed to come along. With luck, and if the weather holds, Anne has agreed to come out for a sail with me Friday.  Being on the water is a reminder of why I am building that boat. It is not because I love sanding.





No comments:

Post a Comment