Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Whisky plank and Welsfordian curves

 I finally got to glue on the whisky plank on the weekend. I tried to get Oz to pose for a shot to record the occasion. He was deeply disapproving.


The odd bit of wood is a brace, to hold the ply in place firmly till the epoxy sets. 

Anne is in the Epworth hospital in Richmond after knee surgery. I have been catching the train over to visit most mornings. Hopefully another week or so and she will be home.  

I can get an hour or two of work done on the boat most days, but somehowI am a bit inefficient and muddled at the moment.  EG I mixed a batch of epoxy yesterday then could not for the life of me find the handle I needed for the roller to spread it.

One looming challenge is to get the 10 by 30 mm stips of Oregon to conform to the graceful but quite steep curve of the gunnels. Gerard kindly bought me some long plastic bags for steaming. We tried it, but, silly me, I put the start of the bag and the steam pipe input right at the point where I had epoxied the scarf joint. Which of couse melted the glue and the joint failed.

Today I tried carefully clamping on a gunnel strip, little bit at a time. And it seemed to work. Tomorrow I will screw it on, and try my luck with the next strip. 


Jim at the Dinghy Shop is back temporarily from his cruise up north. He hit a large solid object which should bot have been in a marked channel, and damaged the keel of his boat. Proving the maxim it is an ill wind etc I was able to stock up on screws and order some more epoxy and various fittings. And the 2 x 250mm  Armstrong hatches I ordered moths ago finally arrived, just in time to do the cockpit sole.

So, not great progress but at least still moving forward. Beautiful day today, would have been lovely on the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment