Friday, August 25, 2023

Lazaretting

 


In boat building, as in most activities I guess, there are lots of inter dependencies. You can't put the rear cockpit sole down till the outboard doubler is in, which might interfere with the lazarette support which needs the seats in but they can't go in till you put the side cleats in which requires you to know where the lazarette goes. I dry fitted what I could, and decided arbitrarily on a location for the forward lazarette cleat, based in the size of my fisherman's anchor which I hope to store in there. The crunch will be whether I can get a hatch small enough not to interfere with the tiller but big enough to get the anchor in and out.


Funny word "lazarette", lots of dodgy etymological theories out there on the internet about the origin of the word, but Lazarus clearly is in the chain somewhere there.


I am slowly  chipping away. Maggie is appalled at my slow progress, but should have the soles and the seats down in the next week or so.  Maybe ready to turn over by the end of next month.  

Stephen who has bought plans for #667 came to have a look at progress and try out the cuddy for size. It will be really nice to have another SCAMP in progress.  I better get cracking or he will be on the water before me!




No comments:

Post a Comment