Monday, September 18, 2023

Be seated

 One of nice things about building your own boat is you can imagine little features and wiith luck make them happen. I thought the footwell was a good candidate for a foot grate, as is is sure to accumulate an inch or two of water somewhere along the line, and that water in your shoe does have a demoralising effect. 

I made a trial grate out of some Tasmanian Ash that Harald up the road gave me. One of this month's jobs has been adding cleats on the side seat faces, and with a bit of judicious sanding and rasping, the grate sits snugly at cockpit sole level, which will be handy for sleeping. 
And it also works as a rowing seat.  
I am ridiculously pleased with this very basic bit of carpentry. And heaven knows I need some morale boosting on the boat building front, as the build is going more slowly than I anticipated. I am about a month behind where I thought I might be a month ago. I expected to have the seats and sole down two weeks ago. Instead I just finished filleting port side seat today, starboard side and lazarette still to go.


Partly this slow progress is due to me routinely underestimating the tasks and how long they will take. Partly it is because I slope off and do other things. Like going sailing. Now the weather is getting warmer at last, I gratefully accepted Chris's suggestion to go for a sail last Tuesday.


We had an energetic sail over to Point Cook, lunch on the beach, and a lovely sail back. And then I could spend the next day fiddling round making a video of it all.  Which doesn't get the SCAMP built any faster. 

But it does remind me why I am building. I am very glad I am building this boat. I have big plans for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment