Thursday, December 7, 2023

Slacking off

 I admired Kent from Kent's Bike Blog, who, when asked his approach to the gruelling Great Divide bike race, which he completed on a fixed gear single speed bike, responded: "I start off slow, then kind of ease off." I have been emulating his approach all too well as my lack of progress shows. Summer is beginning and with it some lovely weather. I went  sailing in the Skerry, with Andrew in his Laser, on a lovely broad reach over to Williamstown and back, I 've been swimming most days, making jam, and generally pottering around. Very pleasant but my hopes that the SCAMP would somehow magically be ready for sailing this year are pretty much out the window. 

It was great to get back on the water. It was a North wind day, with flukey gusts varying in direction by up to 90 degrees. The sort of day where you could easily wind up in the water. It was a good reminder of why I am building the SCAMP: I hope it will be a bit more relaxing to sail on that sort of day than the Skerry is.

I did get the boat turned over, thanks to a gang of excellent helpers who made the operation, which I had been dreading, extremely easy. 


There is quite a bit to do once the boat is turned over, filling, fibreglassing and adding the skegs. Those darn skegs took me more than a week to laminate, fibreglass, cut gooves, attach worm shoes, epoxy onto hull and fillet. 


This week I collected a length of aluminium tube, 6060 t5 80mm 2mm wall thickness, as recommended by Dana Pike up in Canberra. I can try my hand at a birdsmouth somewhere down the track, I want to go sailing!!!!  The tube is intimidatingly big, but weighs under 5 kilos. My mast on the Core Sound weighed over 11 kilos, and I had to stand precariously on the front deck to insert it vertically into the mast box. I think the SCAMP arrangement should be much better. I've laminated some bits of Harald's Oregon to make the boom, and I will try carbon fibre wind surfer mast for the yard. So we might be able to bend on the sails soon. In between , while waiting for glue to set or just for a change, I am shaping the rudder,a few more hours rasping and sanding and that will be done too.

The SCAMP manual suggest filleting and painting interior while the boat is upside down, so that's next. A bit of a contortionist challenge to get to some areas but hey ho, we're getting there. Maybe January we might be ready to launch.


No comments:

Post a Comment