Saturday, February 10, 2024

Wading through treacle

 



I am chipping away at the long list of small jobs. It feels a bit like wading through treacle. 

The first round of painting more or less done. I can go back and polish up down the track, but I am happy with a work boat finish. I am drilling filling and drilling all holes exposed to the outside or to water. Takes about 4 times as long as just drill and add a dab of sikaflex or epoxy but it should help the boat outlast my future neglect.

Anne doesn't think much of my colour scheme, and she could be right, but it will have to do for now.

On the jobs list are tasks that are easy/enjoyable, and jobs that are more difficult/challenging. The temptation is to do all the easy jobs but the danger is I will wind up with a nasty pile of things left which could be demoralising. 

The centreboard is definitely one of the nasty jobs. I am a bit worried I have stuffed it up somehow - shape too much out, bearing off centre? - tho I won't know till I install it. Hopefully I can get some extra pairs of hands to get it installed - it is a heavy little number, made from laminated hardwood  with a chunk of lead set in the lower half. I would not want to drop it on my foot.

Here it is, with its little tail in case the boat turtles and the centreboard retracts. You use the bit of yellow rope to get the board out again, which gives enough leverage to get the boat back upright. I am also putting in a downhaul with a quick release cleat, on the belt and braces principle. Something about black and heavy makes me want to move on to a more pleasant job like the rowlocks. Rebate plate, drill and fill and drill, it has taken quite a few hours to get them on, but I have enjoyed that job. Looking forward to finding out how the SCAMP actually rows soon. The hole is to allow the escape of any water that might find its way into the rowlock socket.


I also sent off the registration form to Vic roads, so hopefully I can use an engine at Paynesville if I can get there. The trailer probably won't arrive in time so I will have to adapt Skerry's trailer for the duration. I think I know how that might work. The most critical bit of the puzzle still outstanding is the rudder pintle. Jim only had one of the beefier 4 bolt hole kind. He has ordered another, but it seems it has to come from Jupiter and the space shuttle has been delayed. Gavan has some that would fit though would need different spaced holes. I will hold off for another week. 

Main jobs outstanding apart from the above include: finish mast step and epoxy mast foot in, install uphaul/downhaul hardware, non slip paint in appropriate spots, finish tiller extension, drill fill drill and bolt/screw on all hardware, sikafex on hatches and portholes ... I am sure there is plenty more I just can't think of what they are at the moment.  About 17 more sleeps before we need to be on the road down to Paynesville, 17 more days work, but my productivity goes right down (along with my iq) when the days are hot, and we have a heat wave into mid next week. 


We had a family getaway long weekend down at Walkerville last weekend. Swimming a couple of times every day, hiking up and down the hill from house to beach and back, sitting on the deck with a vista of the Prom and the Glennie group across the water, big sky, lots of feasting, my favourite people ... it was time out of the build, but I have come back energised. 

Onwards though the treacle!




No comments:

Post a Comment