Sunday, July 2, 2023

Learning

 Gerard kindly helped me get plank 2 on last week. I had been fiddling round not making much forward progress, so his help getting over the plank 2 hurdle was much appreciated. 



It's great to see the structure taking on a more SCAMP-like appearance. I dare to hope that this might turn into an actual boat one day.



It sure is a beamy little thing, almost half as wide as it is long.

 I am pretty much finished this round of filleting and cleating. It has been a salutory learning experience and I hope I have learned something approaching patience. The effort today sanding the dodgy fillets that I put on yesterday when the light was fading and I was tired is a good reminder that it's just not worth it. Speaking of light fading, the quality of my late afternoon fillets has improved considerably now I am using a camping lantern and can sort of see what I am doing.



The precision of the cnc kit has really helped with the planks. Even Maggie the Quality Control Officer is impressed. She really likes the boat, something about all the compartments appeals to her cat brain. And on good days we get lovely afternoon sunshine in the carport and she can snooze contentedly curled up in front of the jig.Very companionable. Ozzie is now shut inside while I work, after a couple of incidents where he has taken himself off for a walk round the neighbourhood while I have been distracted with the boat.

Next tasks to finish off the compartments with a few more coats of epoxy and some paint, before they get too hard to access. And put hatches in the cabin sole and side seats.

Works will slow down for a while too, as a trip away and other commitments will soak up SCAMP time, but the project will take as long as it takes, and I am enjoying it.






No comments:

Post a Comment