Saturday, May 13, 2023

Endolphins and Endorphins

 A busy week.  I got out sailing Wednesday, from the Warmies in Williamstown with Chris and Gavan, and on Thursday with Chris and Gerard. 

The weather wasn't so great Wednesday, but it was a great sail, made all the better by a close encounter with the dolphin pod off the breakwater.


Thursday was a great day too.  Gerard was held up, so Chris and I just hung off one of the visitors moorings in the river, and had a cuppa and enjoyed the sun.  Once we got going, there was a nice breeze, and we beat up past Wyndham harbour a few times, then  enjoyed a great run back, picking through the shallows, and tied up again at the visitors mooring for lunch.  Not very far or very fast, but my kind of sailing.  


I have been waiting on Richard the nice Irishman from Port Melbourne who is the West Systems Epoxy agent for melbourne, to get in some stock of graphite powder, which the SCAMP manual recommends for centreboard case and centreboard.  It came in Friday so I am moving forwards again.


I've put two layers of fibre glass on the centreboard, and graphite on the inside of the case. Sure makes for a shiny surface.   While I was waiting for that to dry today, I tried dry fitting the mast box.


Thanks to the wonders of the cnc cutting, it all fits together beautifully. 

I couldn't resist trying out what it would look like in situ.



I realised that it would be a right pain to be coating the inside of the mast box once it is all glued up, so I disassembled the structure and put a coat on.  At least there will be one coat on in there.  Not sure how you are supposed to paint it, or put the fillets on the inside.  But I will cross that bridge when I come to it.  Which will be tomorrow I hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment